The Okefenokee Track and Cycling Club celebrated their annual Christmas party at the Okefenokee Country Club. Two distinguished awards were given this year to honor individual accomplishments and service to others. Sydney Griffin received this year’s Charles L. Strickland Endurance Award. This award is given annually to an individual who has diligently worked hard to overcome obstacles and achieve personal goals. Through her commitment to running and other healthy lifestyle changes, Sydney has lost over 70 pounds and has competed in numerous local races. The second award was the inaugural Ron Crosby Distinguished Service Award. This year it was given to none other than Ron Crosby himself for his dedication to serving others and his commitment to motivate individuals to live a healthy active lifestyle.
- Very special thanks to outgoing officers Heather Mock Hall and Ashley Forbus who were great ambassadors for the club and physical fitness. They worked with passion and enthusiasm!
- Join me in welcoming our 2017 Club officers elected at our December 12th meeting:
- Orrie McCrea – President
- Jeff Chaney – VP
- Jennifer Hood Smith – Treasurer
- Ron Crosby – Operations
- Ansley Watley – Public Relations
- Marsha McCrea – Secretary.
- The Bike Safety class put on Bike Georgia was well attended with 10 people learning more about bike safety, doing drills and current bike laws. Plus, they donated bike lights for the club to use for mobile wheelchairs in the community. If you know of someone needed this, please contact Orrie.
- Couch to 5k, a joint program of the YMCA and OTCC, get the word out!
When: Jan. 11th – March 17th Wednesday & Fridays at 5:30pm
Where: Meet down at the YMCA track
Description: This class is designed for beginning runners or those who have not run in a while. The YMCA
will host the C25K, led by leaders of the Okefenokee Track & Cycle Club! (Ansley Watley & Marie Watkins)
Registration: This is a specialty class and registration is required. Member Fee = $40 Potential Member Fee = $50 Registration can be done Mon-Fri 8am-6pm at the front office. Deadline: January 18th, 2017 and Registration can be completed at the front office Mon-Fri 8am-6pm
Age Requirement: Minimum age 12yrs.All minors under 16 must have a parent participating.
Welcome New Members!
- Marie Watkins
- John Butler
- The Boatright family, Lin, Merry Gayle, Anna Lisa and Davis
- The Bowen family, Dana, Chad, Mackenzie and Madison